• Slideshow Widget

    Look into the Light Carol Anne

    Friday, August 16, 2013


    One evening I sat down to do some editing and marveled at all of the pictures that I have taken over the course of this year. I was pretty stoked, but then...I realized something. I take fun and interesting pictures for other people, but I don't have any fun and interesting pictures of myself. I'm always behind the lens, framing my subject, composing and investing my creativity in each shot. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what I do...but I would also like to look back 20 years from now and see ME in a creative way. SO...I decided to do a selfie shoot!


    I've been wanting to play around with different lighting setups for a little bit now, so I decided to make my selfie shoot a lesson in lighting. I loaded up my tripod, camera, flash, remote trigger and light stand, and headed out to the front yard to set up, sparking off the flash here and there. I'm sure that at least one neighbor looked out the window, questioning my sanity. One actually came outside for a bit. I can only imagine what the scene looked like to an outsider. But it doesn't take much for me to have some kind of fun, so fun times were most certainly had. It might be an only child thing? *shrugs* Plus the shoot was an awesome learning experience.


    But the real learning didn't occur until I made a mistake. I moved the light stand to set up one of my shots and it wound up in the frame of the picture. (gasp) When I reviewed the picture and saw that my flash looked like an orb of light, I was like, wait a minute...that actually looks pretty cool. Why not incorporate in into my picture somehow? So I played around with it and love the effect that was produced. Now every time I see this picture, I find myself reminiscing on Poltergeist and Tangina, weird voice and all, telling Carol Anne to look into the light.

    Post a Comment